Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sexism in the workplace 

One example of sexism in the workplace comes from a personal experience from my mom when we first moved here in 2002 from England. My mom transferred to the United States and switched jobs with a man here. The job was vice- president of Information Technology. My mom did exactly the same job with the same responsibilities as the man she swapped roles with but was paid less money than he was for the same job. Another example of sexism in society of when we first moved here, and even now, is the question we often get asked is did you move here for your Dad's job? People made the assumption that it was my dads job and career that we moved for as society often assumes that the man takes the more important role in his position in the workplace. 

The fact that my mom was paid less money for doing the same job with the same effort and number of hours is wrong both morally and illegally. Although women are protected under the Sex Discrimination and Equal pay Act, women often don't speak up as my mom didn't in fear of retaliation and losing their jobs. People in society instinctively assume that the man must have the more important job and career, so even though it is wrong for them to assume I don't know how much you can really blame society for it as they often are not trying to be sexist or discriminate but its the just the way they think. 

2 comments:

  1. It's awful that things like this happen, but I do agree with you - they are not all up in arms "against woman". Society is not trying to purposely discriminate against women... it's almost as if women getting less in certain situations is expected and "the way it is". Recently, I glanced at an article of both males and females who made the most money in the word. The male example made about $300+ million, while the highest earning woman earned roughly $39+ million. Obviously the article isn't trying to be sexist, but it's almost become learned by society that a woman making less or having the lesser job in a relationship is expected. A lot of the times woman aren't given the credit they deserve, especially since so many are building themselves up in the world and still not having equal pay and opportunity as men often do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with this. I see sexism literally every day at work. I work at Auto-Elite: Raffinata Forza which is an Italian specialty car repair shop. I do the minor changes that pretty much anyone can do. Anyway, just last week a man came in with a 430 and asked what was wrong. I told him I would take a look. Now I DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH ANYTHING and he started freaking out. How could I look at it? I didn't know anything anything! Well, I took a look and saw it obviously just needed a new piston because it was leaking during compression. Really, a job that would take about an hour. Instead of me just doing my job, the man requested that my boss come and take a second look. I, having heard this MANY times, called over Vinny and explained what was going on. Vinny took a look and guess what he saw, the need for a new piston. Vinny then proceeded to yell at me for calling him over when the problem was so obvious. I looked at the man, who was still standing there, and all he did was cough and look at the ground. I then told him his car would be ready by the next day and to have a nice day.

    I was so angry. Obviously I'm working there because I obviously know what I'm doing. I understand his fears, but why wouldn't he have those fears at EVERY repair shop? Why does me being a girl, and even younger for that matter, affect the work I do?

    ReplyDelete